YUM is in the air! With each new spring comes the ripening of fruit, rich with color and flavor, seasonal treats that delight the senses, and crisp, refreshing beverages to satisfy the palate. Enjoy the bright brilliance of springtime by entertaining family and friends with a few of these simple treats that will capture the colorful nature of the season. Keep it quick and affordable so you too can enjoy the long warm days and crisp clear nights.
You’re no bunny till some bunny loves you! And you will LOVE to eat this super easy cake that looks like a bunny rabbit at rest. No specialty pans needed, just a standard round cake pan will do the trick. Pick your favorite bunny color to tint the coconut, or tan his hide with toasted coconut. Use some fluffy marshmallows for that super cute funny bunny face. Place on top of green Easter grass or simply color frosting green and nestle bunny right on top. This is one critter you won’t need to clean up after…he’ll be long gone before your guests depart.
• 1 box cake mix (any flavor)
• Eggs, oil or water according to package directions
• 2 ½ cups frosting
• Coconut toasted (or white and food coloring)
• 2 Large marshmallows
• Assorted Jelly Beans
- Blend cake mix according to package.
- Divide into 2 – 8 inch cake pans.
- Bake and cool as directed.
- Cut round cakes in half to generate 4 – ½ cakes.
- Ice top of first ½ round and place second on top.
- Continue until all 4 are stacked together.
- Carefully turn on end so you have round edges facing up.
- Cut out a notch about ¼ of the way up one side of the cake (this will define the body).
- Ice all sides of cake.
- Press toasted coconut on to icing or place white coconut in plastic bag and drizzle with food coloring.
- Cut a large marshmallow in half to make cheeks and press cut side into frosting.
- Slightly flatten second marshmallow and cut with scissors in half diagonally.
- Press into the notched out section to form ears.
- Use black Jelly Beans to make eyes, pink for nose and white or yellow to add big bunny teeth.
TL TIP… QUICK & EASY
For a crazy fast alternative use a store bought layer cake, cut in half, stack and roll onto the sliced edges. Add
additional frosting and decorate as indicated.
For fun, affordable and festive springtime treats with almost NO effort, try these sweet &
speedy ideas. Nothing says you must spend hours in the kitchen to deliver distinctive
Buy pre-made cupcakes, cut a small hole in the center and insert a whole strawberry. Fill cupcake shells with
cotton candy and top with assorted springtime treats. Take a simple store bought cake and place pie filling
right in the center. Simply serve up a big colorful scoop of raspberry sorbet, rainbow sherbet or vanilla ice
cream. For added punch drizzle with grenadine, cream de mint, Chambord or pre scoop and freeze right into a
hollowed out orange…UMUM!
If you have delicious Jelly Beans leftover from Easter, bake them up! Jelly Beans work great in cakes, cupcakes and even fudge. This flavorful little candy packs a punch of flavor, gives beautiful color and transforms baked desserts from everyday average into springtime brilliance. Nestle Jelly Beans right into frosting for a quick and colorful presentation or simply sprinkle all around the edges of your dessert platter. Nothing says springtime like these colorful little candies.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cups miniature Jelly Beans
1 cup sugar
1 cup softened butter
8 oz softened cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Heat oven to 325
Grease and flower one 8” cake pan (for cupcakes use cupcake sleeves)
In small bowl toss Jelly Beans with 2 tablespoons of the flour and set aside In large bowl, beat sugar, butter, cream cheese and vanilla until well blended
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
Add remaining flour, baking powder and salt, blend well
Spoon 2 tablespoons of batter into cupcake cups or
Pour 1 cup of batter evenly over bottom of prepared pan
Stir Jelly Beans into remaining batter
Spoon remaining cake batter with Jelly Beans into the pan
Bake in at 325 (35 minutes for cupcakes, 50-60 minutes for cake) or
Until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
Cool completely and sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar or frost with choice of icing
2 cups (12 oz) white chocolate chips
2 cups Jelly Beans
1 16 oz can vanilla frosting
1 teaspoon coconut extract
Line square 8” cake pan with foil
Pour chips into microwave safe dish and heat in 40 second intervals until melted, stirring occasionally
Stir in coconut extract and frosting
Mix until well blended
Allow to cool 5 minutes
Stir all but ¼ cup of Jelly Beans into fudge
Spread fudge into foil lined pan
Top with remaining Jelly Beans and press lightly into fudge mixture
Refrigerate one hour
For a tall glass of tasty without the alcohol, here are a few choices to keep your mind clear, your thirst quenched and the spring hop hop’N.
Want the refreshing and distinctive taste of sangria without the late night headache? Then try this appetizing mock-up that tastes even better than the real thing! And best of all…if the kids drink it up, no worries, it’s harmless and healthy and you’ll just have to make more.
• 1 qt. (4 cups) cranberry juice cocktail (can use low cal)
• 1cup orange juice
• 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
• ¾ cup COUNTRY TIME Lemonade or Pink Lemonade Flavor Drink Mix
• 3 cups club soda
• Sliced oranges, limes or lemons
- Chill cranberry juice, orange juice and lime juice.
- Pour COUNTRY TIME powder and juice into a large pitcher.
- Stir until mix is dissolved.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve then pour club soda and fruit.
TP TIP… QUICK & EASY
To make it self serve, mix in a punch bowl and an ice ring to keep cold.
Refreshing, tangy and oh so tasty, this tart and invigorating punch will keep you coming back for more. The blend of so many citrus juices is the perfect tribute to a farm-fresh spring. Easy to make and easier to drink, this Citrus Punch is a crisp and refreshing family favorite.
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups water
1 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 can (6 ounce size) pineapple juice, frozen concentrate — thawed
2 quarts ginger ale, chilled
Limes, lemons or orange slices
In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil.
Boil for 10 minutes; remove from the heat.
Stir in the lemon, orange and pineapple juices and refrigerate.
Pour into a large punch bowl and add ginger ail.
TL TIP… QUICK & EASY
Make the simple syrup fruit juice a few days ahead and store in the refrigerator until party time!